Friday, May 2, 2008

God- Mother Teresa or Creator of the Universe?

I've been doing a lot of reading in the Psalms lately and I came across a verse that stopped me in my tracks. Psalm 51:4 caused me to do some serious thinking about what I believe about God. It says, "Against thee, and thee only have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight:..." How often do we think about the fact that we are sinning against God? And, does our view of God cause us to repent when we know we've sinned against Him?
When I think about the American justice system, I think of how many reasons people come up with to justify the sin we commit. When I think of how many ways we minimize our sins, I wonder: Do we realize that we are sinning against the Creator of the Universe? We think of sins in degrees of wrongness, but God doesn't. To Him, sin is sin. When you read the Old Testament and see how God dealt with sin during those times, you can really begin to see how he thought of sin.
In Joshua 7 we see one instance of God's swift punishment for sin. Achan had taken something that God had cursed, and because of this the men of Ai defeated the Israelites. When Joshua sought God, Joshua was told to sanctify the people. God said that he would burn the person who took the cursed thing because he transgressed the covenant of the Lord. Achan, his family, all of his animals and belongings were taken to the valley of Achor and they were stoned first then burnt with fire.
When you hear this story, it is easy to understand why Lamentations 3:22-23 says, "It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not comsumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness."
God is not some Mother Teresa in the sky. He doesn't do good deeds. He is the Creator. When he spoke everything we see with our eyes came to be in total perfection. Every fragile ecosytem, every habitat, every aminal with complete bodies were created by God. He created man with all the many systems that we have in our body. When you think about the fact that our bodies work and our organs work in tandem with each other, it is amazing. We can't make excuses to a God this great. We have to stop putting God in a shell of humanity. We were made in HIS image not the other way around.
Sin is sin whether it "hurts" anyone else or not. We can't classify sin by saying, "well, at least I didn't hurt anyone." We hurt God. If nothing else, we hurt God. I can't imagine the pain in God's heart as he walked through the garden of Eden calling out for Adam. I can't imagine what had gone on within God in the time before he went down looking for Adam. I know that when I've known my kids have done something wrong, my heart breaks for them, and for the action that I am going to have to take. I can't imagine how God feels.
I think that if we stopped making God into an image that we can understand and just read our Bibles to know God, our attitudes about sin would change.

No comments: