Tuesday, August 14, 2007

First things first...

Okay, I've got things running through my mind, so I'm just going to deposit them here. A few months ago this question was ringing in my mind. What must I do to be saved? This comes from Acts 16:30. Paul and Silas had been thrown in prison for preaching Christ. If you've read the New Testament at all, you know that Paul was formerly Saul. Saul persecuted and even killed Christians. He was consenting to Stephens death in Acts 8:1. However, by chapter 9 he was on the road to Damascus and met Jesus. This alone should bring me comfort in my own past. Paul was one of God's greatest ministers in the New Testament, and his former life included murder! I am convinced that God CAN use me. Back to chapter 16... Paul and Silas in prison, praising God and praying and an earthquake happens and all the prison doors opened and each prisoners bonds were loosed. The jailer was going to kill himself because he knew he would die if the prisoners escaped. Paul told him not to hurt himself, that the prisoners were all there. This caused the jailer to fall on his knees and ask, What must I do to be saved? Here is Paul's answer vs.31 "And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved , and thy house."
As I wrote in the previous post, believe here is Pisteou which means not just to believe, but to be persuaded. Hence, to put confidence in and signifies a reliance upon. So, ask yourself this: Am I persuaded that Jesus is the only way to be right with the Father God? Am I reliant upon Him for my salvation? We can't get it any other way. The end of the definition in the vines dictionary says, it is translated committed to. Are you Committed to Jesus? This requires an investment of yourself.
Saved in the above verse means- to save, deliver, protect. Of the spiritual and eternal salvation granted immediately by God to those who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.
Romans 10:9, 10 expands on the way to be saved. " That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believes unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. "
Confess/confession here means to declare openly by way of speaking, such confession being the effect of deep conviction. It also conveys the thought of confessing allegiance to Christ as one's master and Lord. What does Jesus say in Jn 14:15 "If ye love me, keep my commandments." So, our confession that Christ is our Lord comes with some tangible affects. We will keep His commandments, if we love Him. He also says, in Jn 13:35 " By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one for another." So, there is a decision followed by visible signs that you have made the decision.
Can you ever "think" you've made this decision when in truth you haven't? Absolutely! Matt. 7:21-23 says, "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. MANY will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord have we not prophesied in thy name? and in the name cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."
I've often said that these are not actions that people outside the church would claim. People who don't go to church wouldn't talk about casting out devils, and prophesying. To me, this is a warning to those in church. To those in "ministry". The word "Knew" in this verse means that there is a relationship between the "knower" and the "knowee". What is "known" is of value and importance signifying the establishing of a relationship. To know by observation and experience. Does Jesus know you? Do you have a relationship with Him? Does he have experience with you?
These thoughts have gone through my mind these past few months. I know that the Jews didn't recognize Jesus as their Messiah because He didn't fit what they were looking for. I never want to miss Jesus because He doesn't fit my expectations. I do not want to pass Him by because I don't recognize Him. Have you ever met someone briefly, then at a later time tried to meet them in a public place? We don't have perfect memory, and sometimes you can walk right past the person because you were expecting them to look different. I don't want that to happen. I want to recognize Jesus, and I want Him to know me.
I think that as Americans we live in a "drive-thru" society. We drive through to get food, coffee, even our medications. We also want a "drive-thru" fix for everything. I saw a commercial that stated that you can eat whatever you want and still lose weight. Isn't that crazy? We in the church are looking for " drive-thru" answers. I get the feeling that some people use salvation as their "Get out of Hell Free" card. They go forward and say a prayer, but don't really understand what it means. Salvation requires something of you. It means that you are acknowledging that Jesus is your Master and Lord. And when Jesus says, If you love me, keep my commandments that is an outward sign of your heart.
The Bible says that the way is narrow and few there be that find it. That's in Matt. 7:13-14 where Jesus says, "Enter ye at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way which leadeth to life, and few there be that find it." Strait means narrow because it runs counter to natural inclinations.
I am concerned that in this day and age where we can buy anything, get information at the speed of light, have channels on the TV that run 24 hours a day, we do not have much of a need for God. We can do amazing surgeries, go into space, and all these incredible things, but one thing remains. All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. (Rom. 3:23) And because of that, "The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." (Rom. 6:23) We must think about what is beyond this life. It is one of two things, eternal life, or eternal separation from God.
There are a couple of books that have really defined the Christian life for me. The first is Pilgrim's Progress. It is an amazing allegory which stunned me in it's portrayal of the Christian life. Although it was written centuries ago, it's truth remains. The other book is "Though None Go With Me." I must say, the movie that is out is NOTHING like the book, so read the book. I've read it about 4 times, and it continues to speak to me. We may not have friends to go through our walk with God, we may not see our children live for Him, and things may not go the way we think they should go, but He works all things for our good. I will not say that living the life for Christ is a walk in the park, but I have His promises to lean on. Jn. 16:33 "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." I truly believe that accepting Jesus as the only way we can be right before God, and living devoted to Him, has been an abundant life for me.
Okay, I feel like there is some rambling in here, thanks for bearing with me.

No comments: