Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Practically speaking

Okay, so you've made a decision to be a disciple of Christ, but what exactly does that mean? "Church" people can throw around a lot of terms that mean nothing to the average person, so I'd like to tell you from my life how I go about following Jesus. If you have ever said, "I just feel like there's something blocking me from God", I think this will help you.
First of all, let me tell you a little about my background. I was raised in a Christian home where we went to church and I also attended Christian schools. I was exposed to the Bible from early on, and in fact belonged to the now defunct Bible Memory Association. I can honestly tell you that most of my childhood exposure to the Bible was from a purely obedience stand point. And, because I went to very conservative schools which focused strongly on rules, I didn't really "get" what was the big deal about being a Christian. I never was exposed to the idea that I could/should have a personal relationship with God, or that through learning about Him I would choose not to indulge in the things of the world. I've never quite figured out how I missed all of this, why no one ever told me about a personal relationship.
As a young adult, I decided that Christianity wasn't helping my life at all, so I struck out on my own. I didn't go to church, I didn't do anything remotely "religious" for years. Until my life was in a shambles. As a single mom, I reconnected through a phone call to my former daycare provider, and she mentioned this lady on TV. Ironically, I had seen this woman on in the middle of the night, but after the conversation decided to seek the show out, not just happen upon it. This woman seemed like she was speaking directly to me. This was the beginning of my journey back to God. I started attending a church with my sister, but my kids didn't really like it, so I was limited in how often I could go. Then, I met my husband, and we attended church together. Life was still pretty touch and go for me, I still had a lot of problems and issues. I couldn't figure out how to fix my life. Then, when a crisis happened, I called the same friend and cried on her shoulder. She asked me how my quiet time was, and I said non-existent. She encouraged me to come back to the Lord, and be in the Bible every day. My turmoil didn't erase overnight, but I can say that I have a firm foundation now.
So, what do I do to encourage my relationship with the Lord now? First thing, I read my Bible. I encourage you to read it cover to cover. Pray before you read and ask God to make his Word come alive to you, and speak to you. When you know God's Word, you can call on the promises given in God's Word at any time. I can't tell you how many times I've started down a wrong road with doubt, fear, anger and the verses I've read and memorized come back and bring me balance to my life. Knowing the Bible helps you stay anchored in God's truth. Like it or not, we live in a time when you can find a teaching to fit your desire around any corner. But, if we are God's children, we need to know HIS truth. I can't tell you how valuable my Bible is to me.
Secondly, I have cut out of my life anything that would distract me from God, or would hurt Him. Just like I would not want my children to purposely do things to hurt me, I don't want to hurt God either. God is a Holy God, and sin is an abomination to Him. It makes Him want to throw up. The first thing that went for me was secular music. I was used to listening to Pop music in the car with my kids, I thought it was a way for me to connect with them. But, as I listened to the words, I knew I had to let it go. Music is a huge drive in my life, and it has great influence over me. I could probably play "Name That Tune" with the best of you. But, I began to realize that the songs were distracting me from God, and hurting Him as well. The interesting thing is, that now my kids talk about the music in youth group and say, "You have that song on your CD, Mom." My son has downloaded many songs from my library to his IPOD. I am being blessed by the fact that my kids CHOOSE to listen to Christian music now. I heard a friend say that she listens to secular love songs with her husband. She doesn't feel it's wrong, and has never felt convicted about it. I took HER permission and tried it out for myself. I made a whole CD of love songs and played it for my husband, and all I could think of was how wrong the lyrics to the songs were. I CAN live without my husband. HE IS NOT my only happiness. Not in a bad or mean way, but the lyrics just screamed out their error at me. This story proves that the Holy Ghost is personal. What's ok for me, may be totally wrong for you. Please use much prayer when deciding these things. In fact, let God do all the leading. If you are seeking Him with all your heart, He'll show you what needs to change.
Just as quickly as the music went, I was convicted about my reading material. I am also an avid reader. I'll read one paperback per day if I'm left to my own devices. I was reading popular fiction which did not glorify God. I determined to read Christian fiction from that point forward.
These are areas that God worked in me. He literally took away the desire for these things. Just because I feel this strongly about these things doesn't mean they have to become "rules" or "laws" to you, but honestly....I've cut out a lot of things just because they don't PROMOTE my relationship with Jesus. Think about it, how many things in your life don't promote your relationship with God? Movies, hobbies, books, magazines, lifestyles, values, music, these are just a few examples of things to look at in your life.
I also stopped drinking alcohol of any kind. At this point in my life, I wasn't really drinking much of anything- just some wine coolers or maybe a beer every once in a while. But again, I felt that it was something that wasn't necessary, and it was not promoting my relationship with God. I was determined not to keep going down the same dead end road I had been on for years. I walk past things in the store now, and really have no desire for them anymore. For me, it's like the song says, Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face. And the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace.
Try looking at the situation differently. Don't look at all the things you CAN'T do. Look at what a sacrifice Jesus made for you, so that you could have eternal life. Then live worthy of that sacrifice.
Now, I have kids. I have 3 teenagers. And it's hard to teach them about life without making it all about rules. I make an effort to talk to them about why we don't do certain things. I try to talk to them about my regrets in life, and show them why I don't want them going down certain roads. I try to talk to them about living a life with fewer regrets than I have. I don't know if it's sinking in with them at all, but I trust in the verse in Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." That is what happened in my life. My earlier training in God's Word caused me to come back to Him.
Okay, because this blog is purely voluntary I am going to put out some of my recommendations here. Please note that these are my personal preferences, and you may not like them. I just like to give people a starting point to start looking.
My favorite Christian author: Linda Nichols- her books are complex, they deal with real life and do not make Christianity into useless platitudes. I have learned much from her books.
I referred to two books in my last post, Though None Go With Me, and also Pilgrims Progress. These are both great books for anyone to read. I would add to that In His Steps by Charles Sheldon. Another book that changed my perspective.
I would also recommend the author Francine Rivers. I would caution you that she tackles some really tough subjects, sexual abuse, abortion, etc. and some books may be tough for some people to read. As a woman who has been abused, I found Redeeming Love to be a book I've read many times. I personally, needed to see that God does wait for us. That He is always there ready to take us back. I got some great healing from that book.
Do not be surprised if God speaks to you through fiction books. I believe that truth can be said in a novel and move your heart and soul in a way that preaching or teaching cannot. Fiction bypasses the brain, and in reading we can accept challenges and admonitions that we could not accept any other way. I have received much healing and deliverance through books.
As far as music goes, I live with worship music. I work out to worship on my IPOD, I play worship in my car, I play worship as I clean my house. Like I said, music is vital in my life. At this point, Lincoln Brewster is popular with me, as well as Ross Parsley and New Life Church. Although that church has been through much in the past year with their pastor stepping out of ministry, God's hand is on their worship! I love to see how God restores!!
If you are looking for more quiet worship, Brian Doerkson's Holy God is on my list right now, and also Michael Neale. He's a new artist who is a worship leader in TN. His song Beautiful King reflects my heart towards God.
I hope this nuts and bolts discussion helps someone who may not know exactly what "have your quiet time" means. I've been there, I understand.

No comments: